Saturday, November 20, 2010

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

For me, the frosting is what makes or breaks a cake. If the frosting is good, the cake is good. I have a friend who said that cream cheese frosting can make dirt taste good (as well as a few other less appetizing things). Well, I think that pretty well applies to any good frosting. Although it could make dirt taste good, I don't think I could get over the gritty texture, so I will stick to cake. I love this frosting on cake or brownies, on graham crackers or on a spoon. As long as it is on its way to my mouth, but hopefully not to my hips or backside, I love it.

I snagged this recipe from Wilton.



1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup cocoa or three 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted
1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approximately 1 lb.)
3-4 tablespoons milk

In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add cocoa and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...