Friday, September 21, 2012

Susan's Quinoa Salad

I think I'm in love.  With this salad.  It's easy, it's yummy, and it's healthy.  About the only thing that would make it better would be if someone else made it for me.  Since that's not likely to happen, at least not anytime soon, I guess it doesn't get any better than this.

For some reason my garden isn't producing too well this year.  There is one thing I can grown without a problem, and that would be weeds.  Yep.  I have growing weeds down to a science.  If only I could get them to die and my garden (and grass) to grow as well as my weeds.  I have only picked 2 zucchinis this year.  Not day, week, or even month.  Year.  How does that happen?  Earlier this week I noticed a little red poking out from the middle of one of my tomato plants.  I finally picked it today and what better way to use it (my very first tomato of the season!) than in this amazingly delicious Quinoa Salad. 


1 cup quinoa
2 cups chicken broth
1 tomato, diced
1 avocado, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced (I used a yellow bell pepper this time)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (I LOVE cilantro!!)
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon olive oil

Combine quinoa and chicken broth in a medium sized sauce pan and place on the stove over high heat.  Once it starts to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cover.  Simmer for 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.  Pour quinoa into a large bowl and let cool while you cut the veggies and cilantro.  Add olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, and veggies.  Stir until well mixed.  Can be served warm or cold.

Recipe from The Royal Cook - an original!

Linked on Tatertots and Jello.

1 comment:

  1. We love quinoa--such a hearty, main or side dish. This looks so wonderful, I can't wait to try it (vegetable broth substitute:-D), XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...