Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Root Beer Cookies

I have to say, these cookies are AMAZING!!  They are soft, chewy and delightfully delicious.  They have got to be one of my new favorite cookies.  Everybody thinks they're chocolate until they take the first bite.  It's always fun to watch people try to figure out what flavor they are.  I like to make people guess before I tell them, and then watch their eyes light up as they recognize the root beer flavor.  Maybe I should calling them mystery cookies instead of Root Beer Cookies.  I haven't had a single person guess right yet, but everyone loves them! 



1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoon root beer extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Frosting:
1 cup butter
3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons root beer extract (also called concentrate)
3 teaspoons hot water

Cream butter and brown sugar. Add the eggs and root beer extract and mix well. Whisk the dry ingredients together and add about 1 cup at a time to the creamed mixture (if the dough is too dry, add water, 1 tablespoon at a time).  Cover dough and chill for 1 hour.  Preheat oven to 350.  Roll into small balls (about walnut sized - I use my smallest cookie scoop) and place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.  Gently press the cookies down to flatten the top a little (they don't always spread too much) and bake for 6 to 8 minutes.

Frosting: Beat the butter in a medium sized bowl until smooth and fluffy.  Add in root beer extract and beat until combined.  Add powdered sugar and beat until thoroughly incorporated.  Add water, 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reach.  Spread onto cooled cookies.

Recipe adapted from Real Mom Kitchen.

Linked on Sweets for a Saturday and Tatertots and Jello.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to make these!!! We made root beer float cookies and I loved them. These look amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...