Thursday, March 14, 2013

Candy Popcorn

Growing up I had a great-aunt that I loved to spend the afternoon with on Sundays.  I would dress up in her old fancy dresses, we'd play games, chat, and make Jell-O popcorn balls.  I LOVED the Jell-O popcorn balls, but sometimes I wanted the popcorn not in a ball.  If only the popcorn wasn't so sticky.  This Candy Popcorn solves the sticky problem for when I don't want the popcorn in a ball.  It has the flavor that I love without the sticky that I don't always want.  I think that makes this Candy Popcorn pretty much perfect!


1 (3 ounce) box gelatin (I used lime for St Patrick's day :))
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons light corn syrup (for the longest time I though light corn syrup was reduced calorie corn syrup :))
8 cups air popped popcorn with any unpopped kernels removed

Preheat oven to 300 and grease a large cookie sheet.  Place popcorn in a large bowl and set aside.  Combine gelatin, sugar, butter and corn syrup in a medium sized pan.  Cook over medium heat until butter is melted and it comes to a boil.  Let it boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour over popcorn and stir until the popcorn is well coated.  Pour popcorn onto prepared cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.  Let popcorn cool, then break into pieces.

I love recipes that can be customized to match a holiday.  Switch out the flavor of gelatin to match any holiday.  Some ideas are
Red - Valentines or Christmas
Orange or Purple - Halloween
Green - St. Patrick's or Christmas

Recipe from my friend Jen.

1 comment:

  1. An excellent recipe! I love the memory of your time with your great-aunt. XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...