Monday, June 10, 2013

Hawaiian Haysacks - No Canned Soup!

My family LOVES Hawaiian Haystacks.  It's a meal that all the kids will eat without any complaints.  A meal that the leftovers are actually fought over the next day.  Seriously.  Who fights over leftovers?!  I can't get over how amazingly delicious these Hawaiian Haystacks are.  I've wanted to try Hawaiian Haystacks without the canned soup in the sauce, but have been a little hesitant.  Would the sauce ever be as good as the sauce we love with the canned soup?  I have to say it is every bit as tasty, if not better!  The hubs fully agrees.  These Hawaiian Haystacks are A. Maz. Ing!!  So amazing even, that I used brown rice (my kids despise that stuff!) and I didn't have a single comment or complaint about it!  And 2 of the kids even got seconds.  I don't think it's possible to get any better than that.


6 cups rice, cooked  and warm (I used brown rice)
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced or shredded
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth (I used low sodium)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons dry ranch dressing mix
1/2 cup sour cream

Topping options:
Green onions, sliced
Slivered almonds
Olives, sliced
Celery, sliced
Pineapple chunks
Cheese, shredded
Chinese noodles
Coconut
Craisins

Place butter into a large saucepan over medium heat and melt. Whisk in flour, salt, and pepper and whisk until smooth. Slowly add chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Continue cooking, whisking often, until the sauce is thickened and starts to bubble. Add sour cream, ranch dressing mix, garlic powder, and cooked chicken breast. Mix until sour cream is melted.  To serve, scoop rice onto each plate and top with sauce.  Top with desired toppings.  My kids LOVE putting on their own toppings!

Recipe adapted from Picky Plate.

Linked on Finding the Pretty & Delicious, Show Me What Ya Got, Party in Polka Dots, Best of the Weekend, Sweet & Savory Saturdays, The Weekend re-Treat, Strut Your Stuff Saturday and Pinworthy Projects

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great recipe! A little more work than the canned creamed soup route ;), but TOTALLY worth it! I'll be sure to use it next time I make Hawaiian Haystacks. Thanks!

    Lori @ www.apinchofglitter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little extra work to make the sauce is worth it! I hope you love them as much as we did. :)

      Delete
  2. I don't use canned soup for this either! Yuck! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #17.

    ~Amber @ Dessert Now, Dinner Later!
    http://dessertnowdinnerlater.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment - I would love to hear from you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...